Day Three started EARLY.
We woke up at 5 am. Then we all got ready and went downstairs to meet the Balloon Fiesta shuttle guy at 6 am. The shuttle took us directly into the fair, in the dark. We all piled out of the van. The Dawn Patrol was just warming up. The Dawn Patrol is a group of balloons that lifts off before sunrise to check out the wind conditions in the phenomenon known as "the box".
The photo uploader is not working right now, so I'll try to update with pictures tomorrow.
Then we walked around the park as more balloons prepared for the "Final Ascension" - the last mass ascension of balloons for the Fiesta. It was FUN. Elise and I met a cute little couple from Illinois, and I was able to take an awesome picture of them on their new digital camera. It was cute.
We also collected a few Balloon trading cards. It's like baseball cards, but for the balloons. It has stats, pictures, etc. One balloon pilot even signed the card. Priceless.
There were also green chile breakfast burritos to consume and of course booths to visit.
We came back to the hotel and headed up to our room to get ready for the rest of our day.
We headed to Old Towne, which was just BEAUTIFUL!
And then we went up to Rio Rancho and had the yummiest New Mexico food EVER - Seferino's. We couldn't even complete sentences we were in such awe of the food. I highly recommend it!!
Next, we headed out on a journey for Hatch Green Chile. This is special New Mexico green chile that is not easily obtained outside of the state. Albertson's was $1.69/4 oz can. yikes! Next we headed to Smith's grocery store. We were looking at the chile and disappointed at the $1.49/4 oz can when a random lady urged me to check out the bargain bin at the front of the store. I kinda pushed her away politely, and she INSISTED I go check it out. So I went and checked it out. Nope, not Hatch...but wait! It's distributed by Hatch - it's their off-brand green chile. and the price you ask... Hold your breath... 3 cans (4 oz each)....for ONE DOLLAR. WHAT??? I turned around to thank the lady and she was gone. My sister and I jokingly refer to her as our green chile angel. We ended up buying 180 cans for $60. I have a picture of our cart full of 4 oz cans, in neat, tidy 3 can high piles - Amy style for sure. :)
We were excited until we realized we couldn't fit it all in my car with all our luggage, etc. We wanted to ship it back, but New Mexico is one of the few places left that almost everything closes down on Sundays. Some restaurants and most grocery stores and gas stations are open, but nothing else.
While we're pondering this, my dad stops at The Smokehouse to see if they vacuum seal their brisket for their catering, and if we could buy some if they did. They don't. We were sad. But my dad did buy Farmer's Brothers Coffee and Tea. This is the stuff my mom brewed my whole childhood. We didn't have Starbucks or Peet's...just what my mom brewed. LOVE it.
After this, we drove to the Cottonwood mall, where Elise met up with her best friend from church long ago, Johanna. Then it hit us, we could pay Johanna to ship the chile to us, and she agreed. YAY!!! Oh happy day!
We then drove to Dion's to pick up dressing and lunch for the next day. Their greek dressing is beyond description. I just can't begin to tell you. And their ranch is good. Thousand Island, too. And their bleu cheese, well, haven't tried it yet, so I had to buy a bottle and see.
We drove back to the hotel and put the dressing on ice. The three of us then went to the hot tub for some relaxation. No whirlpool jets, just hot water in a tub with circulating water. Whatever. We needed the heat, and my knee needed the relaxation.
When we got back to the room, the sandwiches were calling our name, so we ate those for dinner. SO good. We were drooling. Really, we were!
Then was nighty night time.
I spent most of the night tossing and turning, unable to breathe, unable to move. It was scary to be honest. At one point I was ready to tell my dad to take me to the hospital down the street. I realized later that I was probably reacting to one of the molds in the bathroom at that hotel. (I don't recommend that hotel, but for $89/night, especially during the balloon fiesta, we still got a good deal).
I was exhausted the next morning though!
I have to type about that later because apparently my typing is keeping Elise awake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment